November 24, 2020, 18:00
The National School of Judges, with assistance from the USAID New Justice Program, continues cooperation with the National Judicial College, Reno, USA, and offers a next series of open webinars of various subjects to judges, judicial assistants, and court staff members.
The 6th webinar – Webinar “Art of Sentencing”
Issuing verdict is a kind of art, when judge has to balance the public interest protection against a criminal behavior on the one hand and on the other – to consider both defense and prosecution sides arguments in the light of defendant’s individual life circumstances to come up with a well-reasoned guilty sentence beyond the reasonable doubts or acquittal. The webinar will help judges – participants to gain the new experience to apply better balanced approach to reach the consensus in meeting the public expectations that justice has been done fairly.
After this 120-minute webcast, participants will be able to:
- Pay more attention in assessing the set of both sides’ arguments presented in the courtroom in light of burden of proof requirements and reasonable doubts;
- Consider the public interest issues to balance the gravity of crime committed;
- Consider defendant’s personal life circumstances led to or caused the criminal action;
- Apply more carefully the proportionality principle while imposing the penalty;
- Envision the potential consequences to safeguard the defendant future social correction and positive reintegration as free member of the society.
The webinar will be conducted using the Zoom video conferencing platform. You can join the meeting at this link.
Please update your Zoom client/application (https://zoom.us/download) to ensure availability of new translation settings.